State Bar of Michigan
home member area contact us

public resources

 print this page

for members
SBM general information

member directory

admissions, ethics, and

diversity & inclusion

justice initiatives

member services

practice management
   resource center

public policy resource

publications and

research and links

sections & committees

ethics for members
ethics developments
ethics opinions
TAON (trust accounts)

from the courts
opinion searching
virtual court

for the public
public resources
media resources

giving opportunities
a lawyer helps
access to justice


Q. Do you need directions to the State Bar?
The State Bar of Michigan is located at 306 Townsend Street in Lansing, one block South of the Capitol. View directions from the major highways.

Q. Do you have a legal problem or question?
The State Bar of Michigan does not answer legal questions for consumers. While the Bar’s website contains links to some resources that may be helpful, this information should not be viewed as a substitute for the advice of a lawyer with regard to your specific legal problem or situation.

Q. Are you searching for an attorney?
You may live in a county that has a lawyer referral service. Please check the chart to first see if there is a lawyer referral service in your county. If your county is not listed, call the State Bar's Lawyer Referral Service at (800) 968-0738, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Q. Do you need to make a complaint against an attorney or find out whether your attorney has been disciplined? Do you have a complaint about a judge?
The State Bar of Michigan has no role in the attorney discipline process. To obtain information about how to file a complaint about a lawyer, please visit the website for the Attorney Grievance Commission or call (313) 961-6585 for more information. To find out whether an attorney has ever been publicly disciplined, please review the Attorney Discipline Board's website, which contains an alphabetical listing by last name. The State Bar of Michigan has no role in the judicial discipline process. To obtain information about how to file a complaint about a judge, please visit the website for the Judicial Tenure Commission or call (313) 875-5110 for more information.

Q. Do you have questions about the State Bar's admission process?
Please review the Rules for the Board of Law Examiners. Questions about the Bar Exam should be directed to the Board of Law Examiners at (517) 373-4453. If you are licensed in another state and have questions about states that may have reciprocity with Michigan, you may also want to review the BAR/BRI website.

Q. Are you an attorney who needs to change your address or contact information?
View ways to update your member information.

Q. Are you an attorney who needs a certified copy of your application to take the Michigan Bar exam (Affidavit of Personal History)?
View the request form.

Q. Do you want to subscribe to the SBM NewsLinks or e-Journal?
Sign-up for the SBM NewsLinks and e-Journal.

Q. Are you having trouble viewing PDF files (including opinions in the e-Journal)?
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader free.

Q. Who does what at the State Bar?
View the State Bar staff list.



follow us
Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on LinkedIn Follow Us on Twitter Follow the SBM Blog


©Copyright 2014

website links
Contact Us
Site Map
Website Privacy Statement PDF
Staff Links

SBM on the Mapcontact information
State Bar of Michigan
306 Townsend St
Lansing, MI 48933-2012
Phone: (517) 346-6300
Toll Free: (800) 968-1442
Fax: (517) 482-6248