All essays are in PDF format.
1st Place—Michael Tyrel Payne, Traverse City East Middle School, Traverse City, teachers Judy Childs and Brandi Reynolds
2nd Place—Anna Rosenfeld, Tappan Middle School, Ann Arbor, teacher Stephen Morris
3rd Place—Katherine Isabel Scheurer, Kalamazoo Country Day, Kalamazoo, teacher Kristin Hovestadt
1. Suppose that a newspaper has obtained illegally leaked, classified documents about American involvement in Iraq. Should a newspaper be allowed to print classified documents that could affect our national security?
2. Should there be limitations on the freedom of the press during wartime?
3. Should the president nominate Supreme Court justices who have a history of judicial activism?
4. Should political candidates speak out against court decisions that they disagree with?
5. Should our representatives be elected through a process of free and open debate?
6. Should the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay have the right to habeas corpus?