Annual Business Meeting & Program
This event is offered in conjunction with the Bar's Annual Meeting
Date: Friday, September 19, 2014
Business Meeting: 9:00–10:30 a.m.
Program: 10:45 a.m.–Noon
Location: DeVos Place, Grand Rapids
Registration is requested to allow for proper facilities planning. Visit the Bar's Annual Meeting page for more details.
Military Family Law Training
Everything you need to know about handling family law matters involving military members.
Speakers: Lt. Col. John J. Wojcik, Michigan National Guard, Lansing
Thomas J. Hetchler, Law Office of Thomas Hetchler, Lansing
Military & Veterans' Law Section
A new State Bar of Michigan section for Military & Veterans' Law has been added this year.
The goal is to educate and serve. There will opportunities for members who join to:
- help out with training sessions on legal issues related to current and former members of the military
- to receive training on legal issues related to current and former members of the military, so that they work towards being "military friendly" firms
- to work on important legislation to protect our servicemen and women
- to publish articles on legal issues related to current and former members of the military
- to do pro bono work on behalf of current and past military members
- to be involved with creating and maintaining Veteran's Treatment Courts throughout the state
Membership is available to attorneys and law students, with all members eligible to vote and hold leadership positions. Student memberships and memberships for newly admitted attorneys are free. Our first meeting will take place in January.
When you renew your State Bar of Michigan membership, we hope you will consider checking the box for this new section.
We hope to see you at the first meeting!
The Purposes of the Section Shall Be:
To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas among members engaged in the practice of law servicing current and former service members and their dependants, employers, educators, and the judiciary, with a view to:
- improve the practice of military law
- study the principles, regulations, statutes, and legal developments that affect the military community
- improve the quality of legal services provided to the military community
To serve as a forum and vehicle for the dissemination of specialized knowledge to practitioners engaged in the practice of law in this area by fostering networking and communications among members.
To coordinate its activities with those of other sections of the State Bar of Michigan whose activities and practice areas are complementary to those of this Section.
To accomplish these goals, the Military & Veterans' Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan will sponsor meetings and conferences of educational value and support the publication of articles that relate to the purposes of the Section. View the Proposed Bylaws PDF