Legal Self-Help Home | Find a Law Library | Debt Relief
Research Michigan Law | Michigan Law Websites | Family Law
Elder Law | Consumer Protection Law | Criminal Law
Wills and Probate | Landlord/Tenant Law | Immigration Law
Finding and hiring a lawyer to handle your legal question or problem may seem intimidating, but there are several resources available to help you find an attorney.
Martindale-Hubbell is one of the most useful resources for locating a lawyer. This free website includes the following helpful features:
- Ability to search for a lawyer by city, state, and specialty.
- Tips to help you decide whether or not you need a lawyer. Click on "Get Legal Tips" from the opening page of the website, then choose a topic from the "Get Info" list.
- Guidelines for hiring and working with a lawyer. Click on "Get Legal Tips" from the opening page of the website. This page includes "12 Questions to Ask Your Lawyer" and other useful information.
- Ability to submit an e-mail request for legal help. Click on "Contact a Lawyer" from the opening page of the website, then select the area of law in which you need legal services and submit a request in your own words. The website will forward your question anonymously to attorneys within your local area.
- "Research Legal Topics" section includes general legal information on a variety of legal topics, including bankruptcy, Family Law, elder law, criminal law, and more.
Fields of Practice Listing
The State Bar of Michigan Fields of Practice listing is designed as a resource for attorneys who may be seeking consultation with other attorneys who are knowledgeable about a particular area of law, but it may also be useful for those looking for an attorney who works in a particular area of law, as the list is arranged by area of practice.
A word of caution: According to the website, "Attorneys listed in the Fields of Practice section have identified themselves as practicing in certain areas of the law. The designations do not reflect any review or selection by the State Bar of Michigan or any government authority, nor do they imply that the attorneys are otherwise certified as specialists in these particular areas."
Law Firm Links
The State Bar of Michigan Law Firm Links page provides links to web pages of subscribing law firms, and may possibly help to identify a law firm of interest for your type of legal problem.
Lawyer Referral Service
The State Bar of Michigan Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRS) is designed to assist members of the public who want to hire an attorney and can afford to pay for legal services. You may dial (800) 968-0738 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to speak with a lawyer referral representative or submit an online referral request. Visit the LRS webpage for further details.
Legal Aid, Legal Services, and Dispute Resolution Programs in Michigan
If you cannot afford a lawyer, you may be eligible for free legal services such as legal aid, legal services for senior citizens, or non-profit legal services. Lists of such services are available on the State Bar of Michigan website. Contact one of the programs on the list to see if the service handles your type of problem and to find out if you are eligible.
This section of the website also includes a list of dispute resolution centers that are available in Michigan communities to handle certain kinds of disputes; you may wish to contact one of the centers to see if they handle your type of problem and to find out if you are eligible.
|Help us improve!
Please take a brief survey giving us
feedback about this website.
Take Our Survey